Plastic Surgery Forum & Message Board at PlasticSurgerySpot.com

Plastic Surgery Forum & Message Board at PlasticSurgerySpot.com (http://www.plasticsurgeryspot.com/)
-   Nose Surgery (Primary & Revision Rhinoplasty) (http://www.plasticsurgeryspot.com/nose-surgery-primary-revision-rhinoplasty/)
-   -   Do I need rhinoplasty? (http://www.plasticsurgeryspot.com/nose-surgery-primary-revision-rhinoplasty/2628-do-i-need-rhinoplasty.html)

coyoteugly 05-10-2011 03:45 PM

Do I need rhinoplasty?
 
2 Attachment(s)
so I've been ugly my whole life, don't want to be. Would a nose job/rhinoplasty be advisable? or something to my ears?
don't really know what to do but opinions are appreciated

coyoteugly 05-10-2011 04:15 PM

how damn slow is this forum anyways?

TRC 05-10-2011 05:50 PM

I think you truly do need a surgery (with the front view, I think your face looks very equal, ears and all, but the side profile is where the nose indeed looks humorous and downright is a pretty extreme hump). However, with surgery, it's always important to go into it with a mature mindset and lifestyle - you have to make sure you're not the type of person who becomes brash easily at any ups or downs post-op or will get into physical altercations in the future that may destroy the result. You also have to be prepared for a botched result - a botched result is an extreme reality and I've been through two malpractice experiences with nasal surgery myself. A bad result can be more devastating than a bad birth nose could ever dream of being, and sometimes it's better for a nose to look humped or large, than to look collapsed or surgical. There truly are a bunch of very bad doctors out there, always make sure to choose the best by looking on RateMD to do background checks on any of your surgeons, and also use online search engines to look for bad reviews as well. Bad reviews are serious business and absolutely none of them should be taken lightly, even if the bad review is about a facelift or something else. A surgeon's honesty, integrity, and skill level reflects his abilities across the surgical plane.

KristenMarie 05-13-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRC (Post 10768)
I think you truly do need a surgery (with the front view, I think your face looks very equal, ears and all, but the side profile is where the nose indeed looks humorous and downright is a pretty extreme hump). However, with surgery, it's always important to go into it with a mature mindset and lifestyle - you have to make sure you're not the type of person who becomes brash easily at any ups or downs post-op or will get into physical altercations in the future that may destroy the result. You also have to be prepared for a botched result - a botched result is an extreme reality and I've been through two malpractice experiences with nasal surgery myself. A bad result can be more devastating than a bad birth nose could ever dream of being, and sometimes it's better for a nose to look humped or large, than to look collapsed or surgical. There truly are a bunch of very bad doctors out there, always make sure to choose the best by looking on RateMD to do background checks on any of your surgeons, and also use online search engines to look for bad reviews as well. Bad reviews are serious business and absolutely none of them should be taken lightly, even if the bad review is about a facelift or something else. A surgeon's honesty, integrity, and skill level reflects his abilities across the surgical plane.

Um, I wouldn't say he looks "humorous" at all and I think he looks just fine the way he is. IF he decided to get a nose job, I would just reduce the hump and lift the tip for a softer profile. I wouldn't do anything to the ears because they truly don't really stick out very much.

AlmostLisa 05-13-2011 02:57 PM

Ugly? No way! You are a very handsome young man! I have the bump on my nose too, but that's not what I don't like about it. (It's very wide and not very feminine for a woman.) Frankly, I think the hump on my nose adds some character. My son's girlfriend has quite a large bump on her nose....she is positively gorgeous and could be a model.

If you are uncomfortable and it would make you feel better to have surgery, then I have no problem saying "go for it!". But you look great the way you are! =)

TRC 05-13-2011 05:59 PM

What I find 'humorous' in his side profile is not the fact that it has a bump (which can look OK on some people) but that his bump is very uncommon in shape. I have not seen many humps like this and I think it detracts from having a modern, handsome appearance. I think it does more harm than good. If the hump was simply less odd, I think the pressence of a hump would still look nice. This specific hump, to me, almost looks like something out of a fairy-tale book or drawing (like an elf.)

As well, I believe this specific nose resembles the mask characteristics I am familiar with in my commedia dell'arte studies:

http://stores.venicebuysmasks.com/me...141def5b_s.jpg

Oftentimes in my literature studies, this sort of nose is seen as comedic or scary. But then again, I also have a higher cultural education than of "what my husband or daughter's boyfriend looks like" so you'll have to forgive my knowledge. I also, in my career, have witnessed hundreds upon hundreds of young men get denied film or television roles entirely based on features like this (where the casting director will verbally say "Sorry, your facial features are not suitable for our aesthetics.") and not only would this type of feature prevent this young man from being successful in aesthetic careers, the reality that many film and media aesthetics do influence society's views of what is attractive probably has caused this young man to both feel ashamed of his image and cause others around him to make jokes or judge him as less attractive than his other male counterparts.

KristenMarie 05-13-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRC (Post 10803)
What I find 'humorous' in his side profile is not the fact that it has a bump (which can look OK on some people) but that his bump is very uncommon in shape. I have not seen many humps like this and I think it detracts from having a modern, handsome appearance. I think it does more harm than good. If the hump was simply less odd, I think the pressence of a hump would still look nice. This specific hump, to me, almost looks like something out of a fairy-tale book or drawing (like an elf.)

As well, I believe this specific nose resembles the mask characteristics I am familiar with in my commedia dell'arte studies:

http://stores.venicebuysmasks.com/me...141def5b_s.jpg

Oftentimes in my literature studies, this sort of nose is seen as comedic or scary. But then again, I also have a higher cultural education than of "what my husband or daughter's boyfriend looks like" so you'll have to forgive my knowledge. I also, in my career, have witnessed hundreds upon hundreds of young men get denied film or television roles entirely based on features like this (where the casting director will verbally say "Sorry, your facial features are not suitable for our aesthetics.") and not only would this type of feature prevent this young man from being successful in aesthetic careers, the reality that many film and media aesthetics do influence society's views of what is attractive probably has caused this young man to both feel ashamed of his image and cause others around him to make jokes or judge him as less attractive than his other male counterparts.


This is offensive for so many reasons. Luckily, not everyone has such a shallow viewpoint as you seem to have.

coyoteugly - I definitely don't think you are ugly by any means and I think you are just fine the way that you are. However, if you feel that surgery could make *you* happier (as opposed to having surgery to alter people's opinions of your looks) then definitely go for it!

TRC 05-13-2011 11:02 PM

I didn't say anything offensive, I am agreeing with the OP. He has a type of nose that I have witnessed being ridiculed by many people in a young generation (that he belongs to.) I'm just giving a professional opinion based on society views, beauty rules, culture, experience, and history. This is a rhinoplasty forum, not a forum where soccer mom's are meant to go ga-ga over every male patient that comes their way and talk them out of surgery in attempt to make sure that females are the only ones who have the right to be beautiful or attractive. If this patient wants surgery, I told him a scientific reason why it would be justified, and with him being a male, I'm sure that he's been through a lot of situations that sparked him to make this choice to even go on a plastic surgery forum - males do not usually want surgery out of no-where, it usually takes many people to say something negative about a feature, first.

"The reality that many film and media aesthetics do influence society's views of what is attractive probably has caused this young man to both feel ashamed of his image and cause others around him to make jokes or judge him as less attractive than his other male counterparts."

I especially feel as though this sentence was defining of my empathy toward the patient (at least, that's the way it sounded those of us who have studied the english language extensively and have written multiple publications, such as myself) and it describes a scenario where males are just as justified for feeling self-conscious about their looks. If you are one of those females who are getting surgery because "I'm a girl, and that means I deserve to look more beautiful and to get surgery no matter what anyone says." then chances are, you have BDD.

KristenMarie 05-14-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRC (Post 10814)
I didn't say anything offensive, I am agreeing with the OP. He has a type of nose that I have witnessed being ridiculed by many people in a young generation (that he belongs to.) I'm just giving a professional opinion based on society views, beauty rules, culture, experience, and history. This is a rhinoplasty forum, not a forum where soccer mom's are meant to go ga-ga over every male patient that comes their way and talk them out of surgery in attempt to make sure that females are the only ones who have the right to be beautiful or attractive. If this patient wants surgery, I told him a scientific reason why it would be justified, and with him being a male, I'm sure that he's been through a lot of situations that sparked him to make this choice to even go on a plastic surgery forum - males do not usually want surgery out of no-where, it usually takes many people to say something negative about a feature, first.

"The reality that many film and media aesthetics do influence society's views of what is attractive probably has caused this young man to both feel ashamed of his image and cause others around him to make jokes or judge him as less attractive than his other male counterparts."

I especially feel as though this sentence was defining of my empathy toward the patient (at least, that's the way it sounded those of us who have studied the english language extensively and have written multiple publications, such as myself) and it describes a scenario where males are just as justified for feeling self-conscious about their looks. If you are one of those females who are getting surgery because "I'm a girl, and that means I deserve to look more beautiful and to get surgery no matter what anyone says." then chances are, you have BDD.

You do realize that you are not the only highly-educated person on this forum, right? Every single one of your posts includes something that tries to boost yourself above everyone else. My guess is you have self-esteem issues given your constant need to put others down, praise yourself, and argue with every single person who doesn't agree with your opinions. You are right, this is a plastic surgery forum, however, there is no need to tell people that they look humorous and comedic. Since you have such extensive knowledge of the English language, I would think you would know how to say things eloquently and with empathy.

And, you are correct, I totally have BDD. :Freak:

nefertari 06-07-2011 02:36 PM

you look cute, dont change a thing. i love your eyes and masculine nose. if the hump on side bothers you, then you should "shave it" but please don t do anything else!! Luck


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.5.2 © 2010, Crawlability, Inc.