Plastic Surgery Forum & Message Board at PlasticSurgerySpot.com

Plastic Surgery Forum & Message Board at PlasticSurgerySpot.com (http://www.plasticsurgeryspot.com/)
-   Nose Surgery (Primary & Revision Rhinoplasty) (http://www.plasticsurgeryspot.com/nose-surgery-primary-revision-rhinoplasty/)
-   -   rhinoplasty before wedding.. have questions? (http://www.plasticsurgeryspot.com/nose-surgery-primary-revision-rhinoplasty/2126-rhinoplasty-before-wedding-have-questions.html)

fancy 11-12-2010 11:04 PM

rhinoplasty before wedding.. have questions?
 
Hi everyone! I'm new to these boards. I'm 28 and i'm getting married next september. I have ALWAYS been so self conscious about my nose. I have this extra bump and i just hate my side profile. I really want to get a rhinoplasty before my wedding. We are spending so much money on a photographer, and all i can think about is how i'm going to hate every picture because of my nose. I have soo many questions (that i'll ask my doctor when i go for my consultation) but i just wanted to get info from people who have been in my shoes and have gotten a rhinoplasty.. so here are my question::: :)

how bad is it really? does it hurt like heck? has anyone been soo swollen that their eyes have swollen shut ? I am giving myself 10 days off of work, will i be presentable enough by then?
How soon can i do intense exercise after my surgery (like bootcamp aerobic classes)? what about moderate exercise (like an elliptical)?
Is it possible to get a rhinoplasty just under LOCAL anesthesia?
I'm pretty sure i'll have to have an open rhinoplasty. is that worse than closed? Anyway, that's all the questions i can think of for now.. Thank you soo much to anyone who takes the time to read and respond to this!!

EZSL 11-14-2010 04:24 PM

Hi,
I think you will have time to heal well, but not completely for your wedding in September, if you get rhinoplasty done in the next month.
If it bothers you so much, you should do it. Of course, selecting your surgeon very carefully is crucial.
The better and more experienced your surgeon is, the faster you will heal.

I had my nose done about a 1 1/2 months ago. My nose of course still needs time to take shape, but no one would tell I've had anything done.

I posted a thread called 'One week after rhinoplasty'. Check it out. There I explain my experience after the surgery and also I put some before and after pics. I will post new pics there when it's been two months post-op.

Good luck to you!

fancy 11-14-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZSL (Post 9555)
Hi,
I think you will have time to heal well, but not completely for your wedding in September, if you get rhinoplasty done in the next month.
If it bothers you so much, you should do it. Of course, selecting your surgeon very carefully is crucial.
The better and more experienced your surgeon is, the faster you will heal.

I had my nose done about a 1 1/2 months ago. My nose of course still needs time to take shape, but no one would tell I've had anything done.

I posted a thread called 'One week after rhinoplasty'. Check it out. There I explain my experience after the surgery and also I put some before and after pics. I will post new pics there when it's been two months post-op.

Good luck to you!

I will be getting it done Jan.4th. I hope that's enough time for me to look good for my wedding. I will have about 8months to heal... I feel so scared to do it, but i want to SO bad!! I looked at your pictures and they look awesome. I have a bump like you had, although mine is a little bigger than yours was. Did you have an open rhinoplasty? I can't believe how good you looked even in 1 week.. How long did you wait before you felt ok to go out in public? was your surgery done in a hospital or a surgery center? Thanks for taking to time to respond!! =)

EZSL 11-14-2010 10:41 PM

Hi,
so, I had my bump removed and I also had some work done on my tip. Which is still a little bigger than it should be, but slowly I see it take some shape. If you only will have your bump removed and nothing done on your tip, you will be fine for your wedding. But keep in mind that it will take up to a year for a nose to take it's final shape.
You will be fine to go out and about in about 10 days. Visible swelling will be gone in about 5 days, but you will continue to heal for a month. The bruising will also fade in a week. I did not have any pain at all after surgery. You feel fine, but you look beat up - because of bruising and swelling in the first week. After they remove the cast a week after your surgery, your nose will swell and you may panic. But don't!! This is normal. The cast keeps the nose in shape, but once it's off a natural swelling develops. On my nose it actually looked like my hump came back. But it was just swelling.
So from then on you just have to be patient and wait it out. You will see how your nose will change and take shape little by little. When you go to your one month consultation, it will look much better.
But you will see immadiate results since a hump will be removed. I think you will be happy.
The whole rhinoplasty experience was not as bad as I had thought. At least I think so.
I had a closed rhinoplasty. I guess the surgeon decided it was best for my case. The surgery was done at his office in an operating room; not in a hospital.
Actually, in the 1 week post-op photo, although the hump was gone, my nose looked huge to me. Especially the tip, I was very worried.
The first time I went out was to go to the dr office to have my cast removed. I took a cab to and from the office. Ten days after surgery I went to work.
You will notice how the body heals - with every day your face/ skin will look better.
It's a process. You just have to wait it out. And follow your doctors instructions for what to do after surgery for better and faster healing. Definitely take Arnica Montana homeopathic medicine. I also used Arnica Gel on my cheeks to reduce swelling. You can buy those in Whole Foods.

Keep us posted on your surgery! Good luck!

Mr. Z 11-17-2010 01:42 AM

Quote:

how bad is it really? does it hurt like heck?
The only really bad part is if you have bad results. Any pain is temporary and mild but bad results may not be fixable, ever. I know.

Quote:

has anyone been soo swollen that their eyes have swollen shut ?
During the first 2-4 days that might happen but your eyes shouldn't be swollen shut to the point of not being able to see at all. The swelling didn't peak for me until after 48 to 72 hours.
Quote:

I am giving myself 10 days off of work, will i be presentable enough by then?
You will look different but should be presentable. Some surgeons require splint for one week and tape for another week, for a total of 14 days. If you don't want tape on your nose keep that in mind when interviewing surgeons.

Quote:

How soon can i do intense exercise after my surgery (like bootcamp aerobic classes)?
That varies but it will be a few months. Keep in mind physical activity increases swelling to the nose. You also don't want to do any activity that might injure the nose.
Quote:

what about moderate exercise (like an elliptical)?
Ask your doctor but I can't imagine it being recommended for at least 6 weeks.

Quote:

Is it possible to get a rhinoplasty just under LOCAL anesthesia?
No.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure i'll have to have an open rhinoplasty. is that worse than closed?
Recovery is longer with open.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.5.2 © 2010, Crawlability, Inc.