Even though there is still disagreement among plastic surgeons, lately the following is generally agreed upo:
Above The Muscle Breast Implants(Sub-glandular)
- Highest risk for capsule contracture
- More likely to interfere with a mammogram
- Highest risk of rippling, especially when the implant is textured
- Most likely to "bottom out" which is when the breast implants falls below the breast tissue level, resulting in a bulge in the wrong place and making any scars under the breast visible.
Under the Muscle Breast Implants(Sub-muscular)
- Less risk for capsule contracture
- Less likely to "bottom out"
- Less likely to interfere with mammograms
For the most part we can say the under the muscle placement breast implants give the best results. However there are DISADVANTAGES too:
- Longer recovery time with more post-op discomfort
- Harder to do so not as many cosmetic surgeons do it
- Since the pec muscles don't need to sag the breast implants sit higher on the chest. If you have natural breast sagging there could be some seperation of contour with the implant and natural breast tissue. The way to fix this though is with a breast lift.
- If you work out with weights some say the muscles basically squeezes the implants which creates an unnatural shape.
Hope this helps girls!!